Fall is my favorite season. It handily delivers a seasonal beat-down to Winter and these ungodly hot Summers in Florida. It even beats Spring.
Yes, I said it. Spring < Fall. Spring is great in Florida, but in the Northern states where Spring means cool temps, damp weather and the emergence of pothole-riddled roads from beneath sheets of ice, it’s not so amazing. Spring only seems great there because Winters are so dreadfully grey, cold and all most plant-life appears dead, making Spring, when everything wakes up from hibernation, seem like an amazing delight. Truly, it’s not. I can do without the awakening of allergies, hay fever that weird period where you don’t know when to use heat or AC (and go back and forth throughout the day), thanks.
Yep, Fall is my jam. While I miss living in a state where I can see tree leaves change to beautiful colors and enjoy the cooler weather, apple orchards, sprawling pumpkin patches, hayrides in actual hay fields, fresh apple cider and the smell of burning leaves, there’s still some magic even here in Florida. After all, we still have Fall home decor, and a new season of college and professional football. It’s heaven for this gal.
I get myself geared up for Fall a little early, around the last week of July, by setting the mood. These 5 things always get me Autumn-ready and put me in the Fall mood.
- Set the Tone with Home Fragrance — I’m over the top about scenting my home (and myself, for that matter), and Fall fragrances are some of my favorites. Bring on apple, pear, pumpkin, marshmallow and even coffee scents. I love candles because they create a warm glow and short-term burst of scent, but fragrance oils, plug-ins, wax melts and sprays all work. Anything that consistently reminds me of being warm, toasty and sweater-clad is a perfect mood-setter at this time of year.
- Indulge in School Supplies — A great way to kick off Fall is to buy new pens, notebooks, markers, and folders. Why? As a Stationery geek, I need no reason whatsoever to indulge in new office supplies, but the start of a school year seems like the best reason of all. Until this year, I didn’t even have a child in school yet. My daughter started Kindergarten a couple of weeks ago, and now I feel even more empowered to go nuts during school supply sales! I bought colored pens (from my favorite brand and model, Pentel EnerGel Metal Tip), more printer paper and ink, several new notebooks, planner stickers, a new calendar, rolls of Scotch tape… like bouquets of newly sharpened pencils, they were perfection. New supplies also give you motivation to start new projects, clean up your workspace and give you a fresh perspective at a time when heading into the holidays can seem daunting.
- Dress Up My Space — It’s so easy for me to go crazy over Fall decor. It seems so wholesome and full of memories, and failing to decorate makes me feel like something is missing. I enjoy visions of pumpkins, haunted houses, ghosts, costumes, and all things ghoulish, so our front yard gets the treatment and inspires our neighbors to join in–it’s great to bring our favorite season outside to share with everyone else! Whether you decorate for football, update a few colors, or go full-tilt on Halloween or generic Fall pumpkins-and-plaid, it’s fun to see that personality come out for a little while every year.
- Enjoy Autumnal Goodies — Baking pumpkin muffins, making s’mores over a bonfire and eating maple-glazed-anything gets me excited for the season without fail, while putting a streusel topping on those treats suddenly makes them pair better with my creamy, warm Chai latte. It’s magical. You don’t even have to bake the treats yourself to enjoy them–buy them if you’re recipe-inept. Your secret is safe with me.
- Fall Eventing — Taking part in traditional Fall activities is a perfect way to go all-in on the season. Football tailgates and game watches are awesome ways to meet people, as are Oktoberfest pub crawls, Halloween parades and carving pumpkins with pals. A good friend of mine has a party at her house on Halloween night for friends and neighbors to join in, and I think we may extend that to our house this year. Why limit ourselves to just visiting the fun when we can host at home, right? If anything, it’s a great excuse to bake, meet more of our neighbors and mull some spiked apple cider in our CrockPot to share with everyone.
Consider doing these things to prep early (and often) to make sure you don’t miss any of the fun this Fall.
What are your favorite ways to kickoff the arrival of Autumn?